"Am I the only one?"


That small space of empty picture plane on the top left is what bespeaks the great artist.

Hardly detectable it underlines how The Entrapped is the epitome of existing as opposed to living in the Sartrian sense and since this is not a reposed calm, may we present Khalid Wad Albaih in company with a new Open Letter by Mariam Toure:


Khalid Wad Albaih, Trapped Khartoon, February 22, 2015.


BY MARIAM TOURE



Am I the only one?
Am I the only one to be frustrated whenever we address ourselves as a divided continent?
Am I the only one to feel melancolical every time I notice that some have understood nothing of the words of Joyce Banda, who said "The true leader is someone who sets the common good before his or her own personal interests"?
Am I the only one?
Am I only one to see how my heart bleeds when I look at our plundered wealth without anyone lifting a finger?
Am I then the only one to whom it is revolting to see that our heads of states have understood nothing about "the Union is strength"?
I implore you to tell me that I am not the only one being fed up with the corruption, which blights our society...
I urge you to reassure me telling me that I am not the only to fear for my loved ones, for the children that I do not have, for our future...
Answer therefore, tell me that I am not the only one fearing for the future of the continent when seeing the flight of our brains and the total disinterest from a number of the young, who are thinking more about how to become famous than our building together...
Tell me that the legacy of strength, determination and self-sacrifice of the great of this continent has not emigrated...
My heart, my soul, my mind, my conscience and my faith are all begging you to respond to me.
Answer my call.

Answer my cry of rage,
Answer... If i am not the only one,
If you too believe that, despite the mountain of things that remains to be done, there is still hope,
If like me you feel revulsion against injustice,
If like me you want to give a new meaning to the word "revolution"
NO, revolution does not mean violence and destruction,
NO, revolution does not mean a politico-hypocritical discourse for what reason we continue to suck the poison they gave us as a pacifier,
NO, LET US GIVE THEM THE MEANING OF CHANGE!
Let's give them the meaning of the will to win,
That revolution can be a evolution and not synonymous with regression!
This is my dream!
My african dream...

PS: If you are partakers, rebel with me with the #africandream hashtag, and together... let's start walking!

#AfricanDream



The Khartoon shown is courtesy of Khalid Wad Albaih and must not be reproduced without his permission.


Popular Posts